Friday, April 2, 2010

Sourdough Onion Rings

Every fall I buy a 50-pound bag of vidalia onions at the farmer's market. I keep the bag on the cold cement floor of my cellar. By the end of winter, I make lots of french onion soup to use up my remaining onions. One year I made up this recipe. I am proud of it...it is delicious!


2 large sweet onions, sliced
1 cup milk or ricemilk
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup flour*
2 tsp baking powder
oil for frying

Slice your onions the thickness you prefer. I like mine about 1/4" thick. Separate the slices; soak in milk for 15 minutes or longer (the longer the better).

Add sourdough starter to the onion and milk mixture. Use a rubber spatula to mix the starter in.

With a small whisk, mix the flour and baking soda. Add to the mixture. If your batter is too thick, add ricemilk. If it is too runny, add flour. Add onions slices to the mixture being sure to coat all the slices with batter.

Drop onions into hot oil, separating the slices as much as possible. The thicker the dough, the longer it takes to fry.

When the rings are a golden color, remove from oil and place on paper towels on a plate. Sprinkle salt if desired.

*If you are in a rush, substitute Bisquick for the dry ingredients.

Enjoy!

No comments: