Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sourdough Fried Zucchini

I created this recipe to avoid using egg...now this recipe is a favorite in the summer. This is one of those recipes that changes according to preference. I like to slice my zucchini into 1/4" slices. You may prefer lengthwise slices. Feel free to add any spice you want.

1 large zucchini, sliced however you prefer.
1 cup or so starter
2 cups panko bread crumbs or leftover bread whirled in the food processor
old bay seasoning (opt)
salt and pepper (opt)
oil for deep frying or sauteing

Slice zucchini and place in a large bowl. With a rubber spatula, smear the starter onto the slices. You want to try to cover each surface with starter. Combine seasonings with bread crumbs. Press each zucchini slice into the crumbs. Fry on both sides. I prefer panfrying my slices in just enough oil to cover the bottom of my large cast iron skillet. I enjoy the even heat of cast iron.
Fry until golden brown on both sides; remove from oil and place on a plate covered with paper towels. Add more seasonings if needed.

No comments: