Friday, April 9, 2010

Sourdough Mock Crab Cakes

I first tasted this recipe 30 years ago when my Aunt made it. When I had to stop eating dairy and eggs, this was one of the first recipes I modified. For bread crumbs, I use whatever leftover bread I have (hamburger or hotdog rolls, sourdough dinner rolls, etc.) and whirl it in the food processor. If I'm in a rush, I just rub the bread between my hands to get crumbs.

2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup starter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning (don't skimp!)
1 tbsp eggless or regular mayonnaise
1 cup bread crumbs, fresh or store-bought

Place shredded zucchini in a colander. Let rest for 10 minutes; squeeze out as much juice as possible. Add remaining ingredients. Form mixture into "crabcakes" and panfry in a little oil. Serve warm.

No comments: