Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sourdough Fry Bread

I got this recipe from the Cowboy Cookbook (shown at bottom). The recipe was contributed by Dorothy and Lavon Shearer, Wester Dakota Ranch Vacations in Wall, South Dakota. I'm not crazy about doughnuts, but I loved this fry bread!

2-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tbsp warm water
1 cup scalding milk
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups starter
5 cups flour, divided
1 tsp salt
Whipped honey

Mix yeast and water in a large mixing bowl until dissolved.


Heat milk, and add oil and sugar to cool the milk. Combine with yeast mixture. Add starter, 2 cups flour, and salt. Beat with mixer for 3 minutes. Add remaining 3 cups flour and knead by hand.


Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled.


Form into small bowls. Let rise for 10 minutes. Fry in deep fat until brown. I preferred to flatten the balls so the inside would be sure to get cooked.


To make whipped honey, I place 2 tbsp softened butter and 1/2 cup honey in a food processor and whipped. Then I added 1/2 tsp cinnamon and whipped another 30 seconds. Spoon over fry bread while warm. Enjoy!

No comments: